When I decided to start this blog about my journey in this independent HipHop game, it was obvious that I had to send some questions to my friend Nicole Perrino. So here it is, live from the BX, with all this luv sent to us, Nicole took time to answer my questions and let us enter into her genuine world made of love, hiphop, and family. Keep shining queen !
1) What could be the coolest thing to say to introduce yourself to my readers ?
Thanks so much for taking the time to get to know me better. I’m 28 years old, I have two little girls, and I run Bronxmama- a lifestyle site for Bronx families. I also take on projects that I feel passionate about- including Windows of Hip Hop, which I will tell you more about!
2) Being a mom in the Bronx, remember we already talked about it … Let’s be back on that topic !
Being a mom in the Bronx is a great experience. Especially because it’s awesome to shine a positive light on parenting in the Bronx and proving that you can give your children a great childhood here. It’s also great that this is such a cultural place and you can expose them to so many things.
3) Do you take time to insert HipHop knowledge in the education you deliver to your children ?
I definitely love to expose my children to the history of hip hop and let them celebrate all of the aspects of the culture. I tend to show them more about the true school generation because there was more purpose behind it. Being a part of Windows of Hip Hop, the pioneers are great to have around for them to learn from as they get older.
4) Is there any link with your work for Windows Of Hip Hop ? Let us a little more about this beautiful movement.
Windows of Hip Hop is a movement that offers opportunities to explore Hip Hop’s origins and celebrate it’s cultural & historical significance in the world through exhibits, presentations, performances and educational programs. We’re bridging the gap between true school, new school, and even politics. We essentially want to bring a hip hop campus to the here to the birthplace of hip hop, and some other exciting projects that are in the works.
5) Besides the music and the hiphop culture, you seems to give a real importance to the notion of « beauty » and « quality moments » in your life. Do you agree with what I felt ?
I do like to highlight the beauty around me and share quality moments in my life. Social media is like a diary to me, that I can look back and remember special times with my family. I like to share those moments in case anyone is inspired by ideas or places in the moments.
6) Is it the precise purpose of BronxMama ? To help the people to be better parents in the BX ?
I would say it’s to highlight the parents who are amazing, involved, and hands on parents and to give everyone the tools to enjoy their experience as a family in the Bronx. It’s also to share resources, ideas, and other fun. It’s a lifestyle site for Bronx families- so I want to share and highlight as much as I can.
This borough gets such a bad rep and I love proving it wrong. I’m a young mom, so I’ve learned along the way- and that proves that there are some amazing mentors around me. If it inspires more people to be better parents- then that is amazing !
7) So it looks like a business, a vocation, something more than a 9-5 to you !
It just keeps growing and I’m so happy about the projects I’m involved in!
8) Matter of fact, you have many lives in one ! What could be your coolest advice for those who run their own business or tryin to ?
I’d say to stay true to what you want and believe in, don’t stop grinding, and to do what you have to in the meantime to make money that you can invest back into your idea.
9) Between the mummy life, the business life, the culture life and the blogging life, what are the cool things you love to do ?
I love to try new things and explore new places. I love road trips and discovering places that only locals know about. I also love interior design so I watch HGTV whenever I get the chance. When my youngest is in school I want to explore more workshops and classes so I can learn as many skills as possible.10) Any last words ? Let us know where find you online and how to help yall !
You can find me at bronxmama.com and wohh.org. Please spread the word about Windows of Hip Hop and be sure to visit the Bronx when you come to NYC!