I just can’t remembered when I started to be interested in Nutso’s music and great work ethic. All I know is that he’s definitely an inspiring artist for all of us, wanting to find a way to make it in this hip hop game. So when Ron Mills (manager of Nusto) suggested me to set up an interview, I said YES and here we have it ! Enjoy and show some luv to Nusto !
1) Nutso, thanks for your time, be welcome here and nice to interview you on coolfdbeats.com ! Let’s chose one word to introduce yourself and explain our readers why.
Spontaneous – cause you never know what to expect from me, I’m very creative and I have no limits. Anything can happen in a split second.
2) I had the chance to see you performing live at EOW back in the days in NYC. I also read an interview of you where your best advice for emcees was « work your flow ». Now I see you freestyling during your radio interview with DJ Eclipse. You seem to give a high importance to the emceeing skills, what would be your definition of an emcee in 2015?
Creativity and don’t follow trends. Make music that makes you feel good. NEVER let them put you in a box and and make sure to work the crowd because to captivate the audience should be a priority. If you lose the crowd…your show won’t be successful because you will lose their attention.
3) Precisely you got that versatility in your art man. For example, I had the chance to produce two joints you featured on (« Party Starters » on Skeezo’s project, and « On Our NY Shit » on Innocent? ‘s project), which are two totally different styles of joints. Do you got that in mind when you build a new project or the feeling is the master ?
It’s all about the feeling .. What’s currently on the news + media plus basically life experience’s. The beats as well that’s a major part of the feel of the record.
4) Feeling and emceeing instinct on the art side, and grind mode and work ethic on the business side. For what I’ve observed so far, this could be something like your recipe, aint it ?
Definitely I’m in the studio, booking interviews, shows, trying to travel and perform on a daily basis and it has to work together the art and business. As an indie the recipe is harder to cook but we make great dishes.
5) Let’s talk a little more about the organisation around Nutso’s music. I was chillin on nutsoppm.com a little, and I’ve been amazed by the regularity, the persistence of the releases, could they be yours of just features. Is there a Nutso plan and who runs it ?
Me and Ron Mills make up our new company #NoLabelJustUS so it’s our new motivation. We have our DJ, Mike Duse and business partner, Domingo as well so we’re pushing the limits daily with our releases. You can catch my entire catalog on my site, the discography, upcoming events and our Bandcamp page has been filling up plus the Soundcloud and Youtube pages. The social media handle on everything is @NutsoPPM (PPM has many meanings but that’s another interview)…
6) Hard work pays off since your new project have been critically acclaimed and the numbers keep rising, let’s talk a little bit more about the Divided Soul EP with Divided Souls Ent. & DJ Pain 1 on the boards. What makes it different from your previous released records?
If you follow my career, many of my EP releases have been myself working with 1 producer (apart from the features)..so this time we teamed up with this amazing group of producers and we combined ideas and concepts for songs and pulled off a great project filled with many styles of music and feels. Again, as an artist, never stay in a box.. be creative and have fun. You never know what will get the people’s attention and make you the next biggest star. You won’t find one type of style on this project.
7) REEF, Jay Large, Low Cut, 5th Seal, Dee Metto, Divided Souls Ent. & DJ Pain 1, is there an advantage to work with one producer / producing team on a whole project ?
Not really an advantage, just gotta set up a plan n make sure it works n promote the shit out of it it takes a team plus $$$ and a lot of hard work, long days , late nights. Plus you can come up with a concept for the project and make it a story.. If you look at all my EP’s its like the timeline of my life… So I’m telling you a story in between the lines.
8) And who gonna be the next one ? Maybe Statik ? I hope it ! I’m a fan of Statik, and you both got that respect for your great work ethic. Any chance for that ?
Statik Selektah is the homie and we’ve known each other for a long time. Our biggest obstacle has been our schedules because we’re both busy but it’s bound to happen. My next project is with our partner, Domingo (who’s worked with the best of the best in the game like Rakim, BDK, Kool G Rap, Big Pun, Canibus, and more) and we’re creating an album as we speak titled RED Sunday! So far Prodigy of Mobb Deep, Cormega, Kool G Rap, Royal Flush, Starvin B., Kon Boogie, and a couple more will be on it. Can’t wait for that one.. we’re having fun creating this album. That is next up apart from several mixtapes with DJ Modesty and DJ Mike Duse.
9) I’m pesonnaly convinced that hard work pays off, that little stones pave the great roads, so I know you gonna be great and you gonna succeed. But what’s your ambition as a Man ?
I want to invest in many different businesses once my money is up there plus give back to my community and BUY my parents a home. Travelling the world with my fam opens your mind and keeps you creative so I love it. It’s a great experience.
10) Accroding to urbandictionnary.com (lol), « Nutso » is awesome word used to describe something that is totally nuts, crazy or insane. Down with that ?
Def I’m a crazy muthafuka lyrically plus on the streets.. Lol NUTSO a.k.a Peanut da hoods favorite a.k.a da Phsycopath Peanut a.k.a Sociopath Lopez.. Lmao…
Salute to Nutso, Ron Mills, and the whole #NoLabelJustUs team ! Visit www.nutsoppm.com now !